Fire safety is the responsibility of all residents. Each and every unit has a smoke detector installed to alert your family during a fire. Smoke detectors are inspected at least once every year. If your smoke detector isn’t working, call Maintenance immediately. If your smoke detector is activated by excessive smoke from cooking or cigarette smoking, DO NOT DISCONNECT THE SMOKE DETECTOR! Just open windows and doors to let the smoke out. Disconnecting your smoke detector is a serious violation and grounds for terminating your lease.
Avoid hidden fire dangers
You can help avoid apartment fires by practicing a few prevention techniques:
- Clean grease from your stove so it can’t catch fire while you’re cooking
- Never leave candles or cigarettes burning unattended.
- Never store flammable or combustible products in your unit.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Persons using oxygen shouldn’t do so near an open flame.
- Don’t run electrical cords under rugs or carpets where people walk.
- Keep paper, trash and other combustible materials away from the stove, water heater or other appliance that get hot.
- Don’t store ANYTHING or block access in the water heater or furnace closet.
- Never use ovens or burners on gas stoves to heat your home.
- Don’t leave food cooking if you are not there to watch it.
- Do not overload electrical outlets.
Identifying dangerous items around your home and taking simple precautions can help keep you safe and prevent apartment fires. Every year millions of families lose their homes due to careless ness. Please do not find yourself in this situation, practice fire safety!