PLEASE NOTE THAT EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2014 THE WAITING LIST FOR THE HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER PROGRAM HAS CLOSED. WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE PROGRAM. PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT WE ARE NOT ISSUING VOUCHERS AT THIS TIME. CONGRESS HAS NOT INCREASED THE FEDERAL FUNDING FOR THE PROGRAM AND UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, HCAAC WILL NOT ISSUE HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHERS TO THOSE ON THE WAITING LIST. THE AVERAGE WAIT TIME FOR VOUCHER ASSISTANCE IS CURRENTLY 7-10 YEARS (OR MORE) FROM DATE OF APPLICATION.


BRIEF SUMMARY OF THE PROGRAM

The Housing Choice Voucher Program provides rental assistance to help low income persons afford decent and safe rental housing. The Programs are funded by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and administered by public housing agencies throughout the country. The Housing Commission of Anne Arundel County (HCAAC) is the housing agency that administers the Program for Anne Arundel County citizens.

The program is generally available to very low income families who meet the income guidelines for the area and the program. Those guidelines are available at the Income Requirement section of our website. A person selected to participate in the Housing Choice Voucher program is issued a rental voucher and is then free to locate a dwelling unit suitable to the family’s needs and desires in the private rental market. Once the family selects a unit, HCAAC must inspect the unit before initial leasing and at least annually thereafter to ensure that the unit meets HUD Housing Quality Standards (HQS). Once the unit passes the housing standards inspection, HCAAC will enter into a Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Contract with the Owner who leases the unit to the family. Thereafter, HCAAC pays a portion of the rent, the HAP, to the owner on behalf of the family.

Under the rental voucher program, the family is generally required by regulation to pay approximately 30-40% of adjusted monthly income toward rent and utilities. Please visit the Income Requirement section of our website for more information. The Housing Assistance Payment made by HCAAC to the Owner generally pays the remaining 60% of the approved contract rent. For more information on the Housing Choice Voucher Program, please contact us.

 

**** INFORMATION FOR HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER PROGRAM RECIPIENTS ****



We are excited that you are a member of our program. The Housing Commission houses thousands of families all over Anne Arundel County. There are many program rules and regulations that are of importance to you:

1) Please refer to your briefing packet, voucher and other documents presented when you initially entered the program. These are important for you to retain and refer to over time.

2) Please also know that the Housing Commission has adopted policies the govern the program that are of interest to you, and contain important information you should know. This information is contained in the Administrative Plan. There is a tab on this website that contains the plan. You should refer to it whenever you need to know the policy and how it affects you.

3) If you are really interested in knowing the regulations provided by Congress regarding the program, you can access them here at 24 CR 982.

4) Your lease is a very important legal document, please always have a copy of your lease and make certain that you do not violate any of the terms of the lease.

5) Should you believe your landlord, owner or management company is not adhering to the lease, contract or program – please contact your specialist here at HCAAC.

6) When the Housing Commission initiates an action that you believe is not reasonable, unfair, in violation of the program or your rights; please visit the Administrative Plan tab on this website and read the section on Informal Hearings. You may be entitled to a hearing on the matter as prescribed. Please make certain that you follow the required steps.